Whitchurch-Stouffville is a town located in the in the mid-eastern area of York Region, approximately 50 kilometres north of downtown Toronto and 55 kilometres north-east of Toronto Pearson International Airport. As a predominantly a rural town, Whitchurch-Stouffville bears the title: “Country close to the city.” This charming town is abundant in large livestock, agricultural farms, vast conservation areas and sprawling golf courses.
While Whitchurch-Stouffville is now considered to be a single town, Whitchurch and Stouffville were initially developed independently of each other.
Whitchurch Township was created in 1972 by John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. He created Whitchurch as one of the ten townships in York County and named it after the village of Whitchurch, Herefordshire in England where his wife, Elizabeth Simcoe was born. Many of the first settlers were the Quakers and Mennonites — two pacifist groups who came from Pennsylvania, Vermont and New York. In order to be near the timber-processing mills, many of the settlers situated themselves near the intersections of main roads or near streams. In fact, Whitchurch had 59 grist mills and 186 saw mills alongside the many creeks and rivers flowing throughout the county by the 1840s.
As for Stouffville, the village of Stouffville was founded by Abraham and Elizabeth Stouffer in 1804. The Mennonite couple came from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in 1804 and had acquired approximately 600 acres of land. Together, they established their own saw and grist mills at the intersection of what is now Main and Mill Streets. Later on, Stouffville became home to a school, church, general store as well as the Toronto and Nipissing Railway (1871). This railway played a crucial role in the growth of Stouffville as it connected Stouffville with Toronto and enabled timber to be transported, harvested and milled efficiently throughout these regions.
In 1971, 100 years after Stouffville was incorporated as a Village, the village of Stouffville and the Whitchurch Township were merged to create the town of Whitchurch-Stouffville.
As of 2016, the town of Whitchurch-Stouffville has a population of 45,837. It is the second fastest growing municipality in York Region, growing 21.8% from 2011 to 2016. Whitchurch-Stouffville projects a population of 55,800 by 2021 and up to 60,600 by 2031.
Neighbourhoods in Newmarket
The majority of the Whitchurch-Stouffville population resides in the Old Village of Stouffville, located just east of Highway 48. This area is built up of smaller, rural hamlets, each offering something different.
Stouffville’s shopping district is located in the downtown core, on Main Street. While Main Street is quaint, shoppers still have access to a wide selection of retail shops, restaurants and professional offices. For many shoppers, the shopping experience is elevated by scenic historical commercial buildings that line the street.
The Stouffville Country Market, situated at 12555, 10th Line, offers an assortment of goods all year round. The market it is a combination of a flea market, farmers market and food market that features over 300 vendors and offers free admission throughout the year.
Whitchurch-Stouffville is also home to a number of community centres, ice rinks, tennis courts, sports fields and children’s playground. In addition, there are a number of golf courses, equestrian centres and waterfront activities at Musselman’s Lake. For swim lessons, leisure swim and aquafit, you can visit the New Leisure Centre located in downtown Stouffville at 30 Burkholder Street.
Ballantrae, a community named after the village of Ballintra in Country Donegal, Ireland, is centred on the intersection of Aurora Road and Highway 48. The community is home to the Ballantrae Community Centre, Ballantrae Public School as well as other parks and recreational areas.
Situated in the centre of Ninth Line and Bloomington Road intersection, this community’s most notable services are the Bloomington Cove Care Community and the Bloomington Gospel Church.
Bethesda is a community located in the south-eastern region of Whitchurch-Stouffville. It is centred at the intersection of Warden Avenue and Bethesda Road. The community is known for creating the Bethesda and Stouffville Telephone Association, a private telephone company, in 1904.
As a result of Highway 404, the community of Gormley is divided into two parts: one is located in Whitchurch-Stouffville while the other is situated in Richmond Hill. Named after postmaster James Gormley in 1854, this community features many rustic homes that are approximately 100 years old. In fact, the community celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2005.
Lemonville, named after George Lemon, serves as the geographical centre of Whitchurch-Stouffville. The community is centred at the intersection of McCowan Road and Bloomington Road.
Musselman Lake is a community located about 6km northeast of urban Stouffville. Located near the eastern boundary of Whitchurch-Stouffville, its main streets are Vandorf Sideroad to the north and Bloomington Road to the south. With Musselman Lake located on the Oak Ridges Moraine, the community is abundant in pine trees, hills, farmlands, creeks and streams.
Pine Orchard is a rural hamlet centred at the intersection of Warden Avenue and Vivian Road. Founded by Isaac Philips in 1802, the hamlet is filled with charming country estate homes, beautiful ponds and scenic views.
Pleasantville is a small community situated in the North-Western part of Whitchurch-Stouffville, just east of Highway 404. This community mainly consists of farms, residential homes and horse ranches.
Preston Lake, a community centred on Preston Lake, is home to approximately 700 people. The community is located near Aurora, just north-east of the Bloomington Road and Woodbine Avenue intersection. Its 700 residents are divided into three sub communities: the Preston Lake Country Club / Association of North Shore Ratepayers (cottage-type homes); Preston Lake Beach Club on the west shore (luxury estate properties); and the Preston Lake South Shore Property Owners Association (upper middle-class).
Ringwood is another hamlet within the town of Whitchurch-Stouffville. This hamlet is centred at the intersection of Stouffville Road and Highway 48, on the Little Rouge River. Named after the town of Ringwood in England, this hamlet is known for its historical buildings and rich history.
The community of Stouffville is centred at the intersection of Main Street, Mill Street and Market Street. Located on the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Rouge River watershed, Stouffville is the primary urban area within the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville town. Abundant with heritage and culture, the community of Stouffville is home to historical buildings such as the James Brown Homestead, the Lebovic Centre for Arts & Entertainment and the Stouffville Station. In 2016, the community reported a population of 32,634, representing about one-third of the population of Whitchurch- Stouffville. With continued growth, development and business expansion, the community’s population is expected to increase significantly in the future years.
Located near the intersection of Woodbine Ave and Vandorf Sideroad, this historic community is the most westerly settlement within the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville. With approximately 722 residents, this community mainly consists of estate residential homes and farms. Vandorf is also home to the Whitchurch-Stouffville Museum and Community Centre, a facility that offers various workshops, interpretive tours, outreach programs, annual events and much more.
Wesley Corners is a hamlet located at the intersection of Woodbine Avenue and York Regional Road 15 (Aurora Road). Named after John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Movement, this hamlet is includes a service station, coffee shop, and an auto repair shop.
According to the latest data from the 2016 Census Profile conducted by Statistics Canada, the population of Newmarket is 45,845. The average age is 39.6 years, with the majority of the population between the ages of 15 and 64 years old. As of 2016, there are 22,435 males (48.9%) and 23,405 females (51.1%) in Whitchurch-Stouffville.
In Whitchurch-Stouffville, 76.3% of all dwellings are single detached homes while other dwellings such as apartments (5+ floors), semi-detached homes, row houses, apartments (less than 5 floors), and duplexes represent 0.68%, 5.3%, 12.0%, 4.9% and 2.6 % respectively.
The total number of occupied dwellings is 15,255, of those dwellings 88.6% are owned while 11.4% are rented. The total number of dwellings increased significantly as the number of private households in 2001 was 7,642.
In Whitchurch-Stouffville, 67.4% of the population stated English as their mother tongue, 0.92% identify French, and 31.6% reported a non-official language in 2016. In comparison, the York Region percentages were 49.6% for English, 0.73% for French only and 48.0% for only non-official languages.
The most common non-official languages spoken are Cantonese, Mandarin, Tamil, and Italian.
Total Household Income Whitchurch-Stouffville
Whitchurch-Stouffville’s median household income in 2015 was $102,997, which is higher than the median household incomes of $95,776 in York Region, $74,287 in Ontario and $70,336 in Canada. In fact, 51.8% of households reported incomes greater than $100,000, 13.4% greater than $200,000 and 13.2% earn less than $40,000.
Whitchurch-Stouffville has one public secondary school that operates under the York Region District School Board (YRDSB), the Stouffville District Secondary School. The YRDSB also has eight public elementary institutions, including: Ballantrae Public School, Glad Park Public School, Summitview Public School, Whitchurch Highlands Public School, Harry Bowes Public School, Oscar Peterson Public School, Wendat Village Public School, and Barbara Reid Public School.
As for the York Catholic District School Board, they operate three elementary institutions in Whitchurch-Stouffville: Saint Mark’s Catholic Elementary, Saint Brigid Catholic Elementary, and Saint Brendan Catholic Elementary.